A decade ago, taxis seemed a preserve for the affluent in society, enjoying a monopoly that was a nuisance to the middle class. Who would have thought that such unscrupulous business tactics would crumble via advancement in technology? Apps are now making these taxi services easily accessible. Taxi applications have improved the terms of functionality of the taxi industry in Kenya. Now, everything is efficient, reliable and affordable. Because of taxi booking apps in Kenya, the taxi-hailing business has become fierce. Of course, there are still giants in the app era, but many are scrambling to get a sizeable share of the pie. Which taxi apps in Kenya offer the best services?
Remember the yellow line that was synonymous with taxis in Kenya? Although such cars have diminished, many are still operational, throwing their last punches in an industry revolutionized by technological advancement. Such services seem ancient as app taxi-hailing service providers have dominated the market.
Ease of functionality, seamless ordering and payment processes, and customer guarantees are just features that give taxi apps in Kenya their superiority. The online taxi business in Kenya has increased in popularity, and they are now virtually everywhere. Are you looking for the best one for your next trip? There is a sizeable number, and you might have to check out their distinct features.
Taxi booking apps in Kenya: Which is the best?
Brands build a competitive market reputation by offering excellent, customer-centric services, unmatched by any other services providers. Of course, some taxi apps in Kenya have a competitive advantage over others because of their scale. However, relevancy requires excellent effort. The majority of taxi service providers in Kenya have lucrative deals and exemplary services that make them unique. With many Kenyans possessing smartphones, it is big business for taxi-hailing apps. If you are looking to avoid nasty matatus or the rowdy interactions familiar here, which app should you utilise?
1. Hava Hava came into the market quietly amidst the height of the COVID-19 pandemic promising to give drivers a sustainable business model by introducing many unique features and within just a span of six months has already made an impact in the Kenyan online taxi-hailing industry. Available in Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Eldoret, etc. It is among one of the most convenient, affordable, and reliable ride-hailing apps in Kenya, creating a buzz, and has positioned itself as a local firm that appreciates and supports local talent as well as the culture through sponsoring and partnering with Kenyan artists and events.
At Hava it’s all about patriotism, creating opportunities for the next generation, and working towards making a positive impact in improving the country’s economy. They are a Kenyan company that often uses the phrase `Made in Kenya, by Kenyans, for Kenyans’ which is a title that they have earned.
2. Uber Uber is an affordable taxi-hailing app that connects drivers with riders. This online taxi business in Kenya massively disrupted the cab industry upon entry in 2015. Venture capitalists and investors fuel the parent firm, based in the US. Now, Uber Taxi services are available in multiple locations in Kenya.
The Uber Kenya app is available on Google Play Store for Android users and has a user-friendly interface that works well. They have different types of rides, customized according to client preferences. These are UberX, UberSELECT, UberCHAPCHAP, UberBODA and UberPOA. Next time you are hailing a taxi through this app, take a moment to weigh your options for the best experience.
3. Bolt Bolt, formerly Taxify first launched in Nairobi in 2016. The company, worth approximately Ksh.114 billion is in more than 37 countries, seven in Africa. The firm has recently extended its services to other popular cities in Kenya (Nyeri, Meru, Embu, Karatina, Kilifi, Nanyuki and Malindi), stepping up its competition for its rivals.
Image: instagram.com, @bolt_kenya Source: Instagram
One of Bolt’s most significant feature, incomparable to other taxi companies in Kenya is their app’s intuitive interface. And they are mostly cheaper than other service providers. With the taxi-hailing app, you can conveniently process your cashless payment, which is calculated before the ride. Therefore, you are always aware of the cost estimate before booking the trip.
4. Little Cab Kenya Little Cab, which many have known out of the cordial partnership with Kenya’s biggest telecoms operator, Safaricom is a one-of-a-kind service provider. Many clients have termed it as the cheapest taxi in Kenya. Although that’s arguable, one thing that is undoubtedly distinct about this taxi-hailing app is their accessibility. One can order a taxi via USSD code – a convenient way for most Kenyans.
Craft Silicon, Little Cab’s parent company, has invested millions in offering vital distinguishing features on the taxi’s ride-request application. A client can monitor their taxi charges in real-time as they ride. There is a corporate option on the app that allows a business to track and manage employee rides down to the department level.
5. Click Cabs Simply put, this is an app that offers reliable, affordable, timely and safe services in Nairobi, Kenya. One of the enormous benefits of utilizing this taxi-hailing app in Kenya is that you can pre-order a trip a few days ahead of your travel time. How about that for uniquely-customized services?
Similar to other taxi apps in Kenya, Click Cabs provides flexible payment alternatives. Also, they have a fantastic security feature that provides the driver’s name and car information before going on a ride.
6. Sendy Are you looking for the best taxi companies in Nairobi? If you have not found one yet, better check out Sendy to satisfy your movement needs. The company slogan – an end to end transport and logistics for business – is a sure sign of their seamless operational capability in a crowded market.
7. Wasili There are numerous taxi services in Nairobi; however, many towns have been left in the dark. Fortunately, through service providers like Wasili, primarily based in Nakuru, other major cities in Kenya have started to enjoy taxi-hailing apps.
The app was launched in June 2018, and so far, it has received a great reception from Nakuru residents. Mark Njagi and Tim Kamanga are the creators of this phenomenal app. Wasili offers affordable services with a minimum charge of Ksh.150 per trip, and they are available 24/7.
8. SafeBoda Motorcycle taxi operators have an infamous reputation for being unsafe and dangerous because of unprofessionalism. However, service providers like SafeBoda that seeks to revolutionize this informal transport sector have created a safer and affordable way of travelling.
9. PTG Travel (Pewin) Are you searching for the best taxi services in Mombasa? PTG Travel, formerly Pewin Cabs, is a renowned corporate taxi operator. The increased demand for taxi-hailing services brought about this name and business strategy alteration. Now, they have VIP and charter flight services.
10. Maramoja Maramoja is a Kenyan start-up, created to bring convenient and affordable transport to its clientele in different cities. This service provider, just like other apps, charges their clients per kilometre on top of other sophisticated charging mechanisms that make their platform efficient and affordable. Maramoja is a socially-powered taxi booking app in Kenya. The strategy is simple – the app helps riders locate a personally trusted ride with a few clicks.